On Good Friday, our sitter called me at work and said Grant fell down and cut his lip. He tripped and fell down and must've hit one of the toys just right. She wanted me to come and look at it to make sure it didn't need stitches. It had already stopped bleeding by the time I arrived, but Grant was quite worked up. It looked a little bit open, so I thought I better take him in to get it checked out. When I got to the ER, they said yes they would have to stitch it up. It was lunch time and the poor little guy was starving, so I fed him some bananas while we waited. The Physician's Assistant (PA) came in and said they might want to put him out to keep him from moving while they stitch, but when I told him he just ate, they decided to try some Benedryl to make him sleepy instead. He fell asleep right away with the Benedryl and they put a topical anesthetic on it. He slept for about an hour in my arms while we waited for them to come back and do the stitches. But, he woke up and was ready to run around again. When the PA came back, he was a little worried about how active and awake he was, but we decided to try it anyway. They came back with a board that they laid on the bed and we strapped his arms in so he couldn't move them. Poor little guy didn't like that. Neither did mom, but I knew we had to do it. I held his hand and held his legs down while a nurse held his head still and the PA started the stitches. As the bright light shined down on his face, he cried with his eyes closed. I rubbed his leg and told him it would be okay. After about 3-4 stitches , we must've soothed him down or he just gave up because he stopped crying. He would just cry a little when a new stitch went through, but I told him it was okay and he was being a good boy and then he stopped. He was so good. It made it a lot easier for the PA to stitch him and a lot easier for mom to handle the situation. He got eight tiny little stitches and was such a trooper. These pictures are right after we got home from the ER.
State Basketball Tournament
17 years ago

3 comments:
What a little trooper. Boys are so tough though, I am sure he bounced right back.
Yes, he did bounce right back! :)
I;m not gonna lie, that made me super teary eyed!
Post a Comment